How to Prevent Damaged Hair



Let's begin with heat, have you every heard of the terms direct-heat and indirect heat? Well let me explain, direct heat when applied to the hair is usually with tools like the blow dryer, hot irons and hot rollers. These instruments are more damaging to the hair than indirect heat. In direct heat can be achieved by using a hooded dryer or by simply letting your hair air dry. Direct heat is more damaging to the hair because the heat is being applied directly to the hair shaft. I strongly recommend if you truly need to use this type of heat which is fine on occasion, please use some sort of heat protect ant to coat the hair beneath the direct heat. This shield will protect the hair from being scorched or cause heat damage. If you must apply heat please use the heating tools that have a temperature setting. This way you can choose the right temperature and not allow the instrument to become too hot. Also dirty hair and heat do not mix well, and by dirty I mean hair that has product build up. This build up will cause the hair to burn a lot easier and faster.




Hands down indirect heat is the healthiest form of heat for the hair. However improper usage of a hooded dryer can also lead to damaged hair. For instance while sitting under the dryer and falling asleep. Leaning your head up against the dry can possibly lead to the hair being burned because of the heat being directly against the hair. I know its hard ladies, because I have fallen asleep while under the dryer many days. As for air drying, when it comes to the absolute best as far as the health of your hair is concerned, air drying is the best way to go. Now yes ladies I know what happens to air dried hair of the coarser nature. However it is so much better for your hair to air dry than flat iron then to blow dry, flat iron and then hot curl all in one sitting.




Breakage and damage occurs from the treatment of your hair. If you are not keeping your hair clean, moisturized and away from harsh elements then your results will be damage. Applying heat, color and other chemicals to your hair with out the proper care will give you dry, brittle and breaking hair.

Steps to Prevent Hair Damage

Step 1: Wash your scalp with a moisturizing shampoo at least once a week, I recommend Creme of Nature or Herbal Essences long term relationship. However I prefer to do what is called a co-wash. A co-wash is a wash using conditioner only. The conditioner should be moisturizing and say so on the bottle. I use Herbal Essences long term relationship as well as Herbal Essences other moisturizing conditioner brands.



Step 2: Deep conditioning is very important to the health of the hair. You can deep condition by using a conditioner or cholesterol covering the hair with a plastic cap and sitting underneath a hooded dryer. I prefer to use any moisturizing conditioner I have on hand adding a little olive oil or coconut oil to it, putting on a plastic cap and just going on about my day doing house work. And if I feel I need a good deep condition doing this method and sleeping with the conditioner in my hair, by simply wearing a head scarf or satin bonnet over the plastic cap. The head generates heat on its own and when covered in the plastic cap the heat from the head is confined with in the cap.



Step 3: Air drying or roller setting the hair and sitting under a hooded dryer. When air drying I find that my hair becomes a bit rough and unruly. When I choose to air dry I almost always follow it with a flat ironing session. When flat ironing I use moderate heat and make sure I use a heat protect while doing so. I also pin curl when I'm done if imp interested in achieving a curly do, or I will braid in order to achieve waves.



Step 4: Keeping the hair covered while sleeping is very important. Wearing a satin head scarf or satin bonnet at night when going to bed is a very important step in preventing damage. If you're not the head covering type, then I recommend sleeping on satin pillow cases instead. Most materials when the hair rubs up against it repeatedly will cause damage. It is best to protect your hair by all means and trying it up or simply placing in a bun can help just a little.


Step 5: Keeping the ends of my hair up and away 95% of the time. The ends are the oldest part of your hair, making it the most fragile part of the entire hair shaft. Keeping the ends moisturized is imperative and by keeping the hair in a bun, tucked under or simply in a braid helps to keep them preserved.

Step 6: Always remember to take your vitamins for optimal hair health. A basic hair, skin and nail vitamin can do the trick. Using a hair vitamin as well as maintaining a healthy diet and exercise is the best way to go.


Retrieved from "http://www.articlesbase.com/hair-articles/how-to-prevent-damaged-hair-2747119.html"